Monday, January 10, 2011

Facebook Earth

During a casual conversation with my wife, she asked me, how was it possible for Facebook to be worth 50billion? To me the answer seemed obvious. If everybody on the face of the planet gives their personal details to Facebook (probably 70% of US citizens at the moment) then it's more than just advertising potential that is on offer, it's the demographic statistics that can be sold that makes it such a valuable commodity.



It's a paradox that people are paranoid about their privacy and fret over airport security scanners and other government intrusions into their privacy yet are quite happy to post personal details, photos and other information on Facebook.
If you're wondering, yes I'm on Facebook and no, not my phone number/bank account details/address/credit card number thank you but no thanks Facebook.

No comments:

Labels