Saturday, December 31, 2011

New Year Resolution



Looking forward to the new year?
Of course, we live in hope that things will only get better.
It's obvious we can't go backwards so it makes sense to look forwards.
Every mistake we've made so far will live with us and influence the rest of our lives.
We can't travel back in time and correct those past mistakes.
On the other hand we can re-visit the past and see what mistakes we'll be making in the future.
If there's one thing you can be absolutely sure about, it's that we never learn from the past. Who was it that said, history repeats itself ?
George Santayana said, "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."
George Bernard Shaw says it like this, If history repeats itself, and the unexpected always happens, how incapable must Man be of learning from experience.

Anyway, my New Year's resolution is to become a better person, to control my anger - especially when confronted with the predictable frustrations of  life...are the unpredictable ones any better?
I hope to become a better person by learning from my past mistakes... but then I'm merely human and imperfect in so many ways. Can I overcome the limitations of my human-ness?
See you this time next year and I'll let you know.

1 comment:

Jeannie said...

It is very hard to change. Some behaviours more than others I think. We do not learn from history because we think we are better than those who have gone before. We think we are more intelligent and less depraved. In general, society has become less violent but perhaps only because we have so many rules and regulations and most of us are not privy to even the daily butchering of our meat. If "society" were stripped away, I think we would find that we reverted quite quickly to past behaviours.

Labels