Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Clash of Civilizations



JAKARTA: Indonesia's national police are considering banning a performance next month by pop diva Lady Gaga amid threats of violence by Islamic extremists.
It follows an attack by religious hardliners on lesbian Muslim author Irshad Manji prompted deep soul searching in a country regarded as the Islamic world's most moderate.
The threats and attacks are part of a trend in Indonesia for extremists to bully and intimidate anyone who does not subscribe to their hard line doctrine. Police rarely act against them.


Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/world/lady-gaga-concert-under-threat-from-islamic-hardliners-after-attack-on-author-20120514-1ymyd.html#ixzz1ut31ZlQs



Today, I want to illustrate what is usually seen as a foggy concept, the Clash of Civilizations.
A juxtaposition of Islam in Indonesia and Lady Gaga.
Indonesia is a Muslim country and therefore embodies everything that is ignorant, intolerant and barbaric about a culture that embraces Islam.
Lady Gaga is stylistically gross, sexually provocative and embodies just about everything that Muslims associate with western culture, which they so vehemently hate. She is the perfect symbol of western secular decadence, she embodies the freedom we have to express ourselves in whatever way we choose without any limits or restraint. By the way, I don't like Lady Gaga, she just rubs me the wrong way.
The point is that I have the freedom to switch off Lady Gaga, I don't need to be protected from her, I don't need to be sheltered from her sexually provocative performances if I don't like what she has to offer.
I don't need ranting, ignorant and intolerant morons telling me what is good for me and what isn't. I can judge that for myself.
I don't have to worry about getting bashed up if I walk down the street because I've expressed an opinion that is disagreeable to others, especially the violence loving, Koran embracing, hate filled minds of Islamic followers.

Islamic ignorance, hate and intolerance is coming to a place near you if you let it happen.

No comments:

Labels