Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Panic now and avoid the rush



Banning football crowds, music concerts and other mass gatherings will only help curb swine flu if governments act soon, a public health expert has warned.

Epidemiologist Raina MacIntyre said Victoria should be "seriously considering" cancelling any large gatherings as the virus had "well and truly taken off in the community".


OK, here's what I'm thinking.

My job involves dealing with the public. Everyday I interract with a few hundred people.

This means I'm in a high risk occupation.

If I travel by train to and from work(thank God I don't) that would multiply my risk exposure factor by another extra 100 percentage points.

The expert says that between 10 and 30 percent of the population will eventually come down with swine flu.

Consider all the people that come into contact with me everyday. If I inadvertently become a carrier of swine flu, then I will personally have infected hundreds of people per day as well as my co-workers who also are in contact with hundreds of people everyday.

It would only take some rough calculations to figure out that it won't be long before 90% of Australians will be infected with swine flu.

Its obvious why I have nothing else to think about or blog about isn't it?




Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

5 comments:

Jeannie said...

I've forgotten all about swine flu.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you need to petition your employer for "hazardous duty" pay, Lexcen.

none said...

Are people wearing masks there?

I haven't seen any here and the first death was just up the road from here.

Lexcen said...

Most people aren't seriously concerned as the headlines want us to believe. Of course, if somebody does die from swine flu, then maybe people might start wearing masks. On the other hand, reports of medical clinics being overwhelmed with patients with flu symptoms could be the first signs of panic.
The funniest statements seem to come from our Prime Minister who first said we should all wash our hands as a preventative measure and now wants nurses to act as doctors in the frontline response to the epidemic.
My employer has been issuing memos from THE PANDEMIC RESPONSE ACTION TEAM.

Anonymous said...

Hadn't thought about the swine flu in several days.

Guess I'll go have a panic attack now. Thanks, Lexcen. :-)

Just kidding. My solution is to turn off the news and watch a good movie instead.

Labels