Monday, October 02, 2006

Deconstructing Beauty

What makes a woman beautiful? What are the characteristics of beauty?. I tried to do some online research and found that this question is a serious scientific pursuit. Is there any scientific pursuit that isn't serious? But I digress, this is a serious subject for me because I find that as I grow older, there seems to be more and more beautiful women around than I remember, especially when I was younger. Not only do young girls look more enticing than they used to when I was young, but even mature women look appealing to me now, even those in their three score and ten years. And then I look at what Hollywood is trying to peddle as beautiful women and I find myself wanting to yell out from the top of the highest building, "She's not beautiful, she's ugly".
And then there's the phenomena I don't understand, why do I feel good when I'm in the presence of a beautiful woman? Today I found the answer, it's all in my brain.

6 comments:

none said...

When I was younger there was accepted idealized beauty but as I got older I learned to appreciate many more types and characteristics that I had previously overlooked.

ChrisinMB said...

"...what Hollywood is trying to peddle as beautiful women"

YES, I couldn't agree more!
Why is it that the boney ass, anorexic, coke/meth whore look is back in these days?!?

I'm starting to think that Hollywood actually markets such women to appeal to the distorted ideals that many young girls have & not men at all.

Lexcen said...

Hammer, this must be the good part about growing older.

Chris,the tragedy with Hollywood is that the really beautiful women can't act (for example Catherine Zeta Jones) whereas those that can act are not all that beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Back when I read literature about babies, being a mum, I read about the fact that even infants are more keen on certain facial types and features, what we call beautiful. Fascinating.

Kirsten N. Namskau said...

It has something to do with "Don't judge the book after its cover"
I have learned to let the time deside if a person is beauty or not...I mean, the beauty is in the personality, so be with a person for a while and see what the personality have to show up with. It doesn't help to look like a God/Godess if the personality is like a demon from Hell.

Lexcen said...

Kirsten, you are absolutely correct but it doesn't change the fact that men's brains are wired a certain way that makes them slaves to beauty and beautiful women. I just wanted to gain a deeper understanding of that aspect.
Jen, what you mention is a scientific subject all of its own.

Labels