Monday, August 27, 2007

Offense is in the eye of the beholder


Poor Americans, always trying to win hearts and minds have blundered again in Afghanistan.

I think the current PC phrase is "building bridges" between western culture and Islam.

The mind boggles at the possibilities of how easily we (the West) can offend Muslims.
The news story of the offensive balls is just another example of what to me is an gap that is beyond spanning, and the "building of bridges" will only result in bending over backwards in attempts to accommodate Muslim sensibilities.

I think Islam is not compatible with modern lifestyle, with modern western values and with a modern democratic process.

Here is a picture of a Taliban soldier in Afghanistan, and what I think is highly offensive to my sensibilities.

6 comments:

The Phosgene Kid said...

I agree, although the romper-stompers I made out of a couple old korans and some rope were probably a little over the top...

Lexcen said...

Phos, you found a good use for the Korans.

Anonymous said...

American ? Sure is Lexie mate .... "Offence" .... has a "C" not an "S" ... see, you think you're a pain in the arse ! I have to live with this inner pedant.

As for bending over backwards for Muslims - that's okay by me - it's the bending over forwards I don't like.

Michael said...

it's the bending over forwards I don't like.

Good point...

Lexcen said...

Mi furst speling mestake.

Ripple said...

From what I've seen, both ways of spelling offence/offense is acceptable in all English speaking countries. Just FYI.

Labels