Friday, August 31, 2007

Our Generation and our Modern Art






So, you hate modern art.
Maybe you've seen a Picasso or an De Kooning painting and thought "aaarrrrhhhhh what the hell is that?" Non- representational art has had a bad time endearing itself to the common folk. Otherwise known as abstract art, it is in fact nowadays old fashioned. Picasso's painting Mademoiselles d'Avignon is 100 years old. Do you find this painting shocking? It was when it was first exhibited. People in those days were shocked by the abstract image. It was rough, it was crude and it went against what was considered to be art.




DamienHirst is today the most significant modern artist.
My thoughts turn to him because I was ruminating on the legacy of past centuries have left us in the form of great art. And then there is the art that our generation will bestow on the future generations of mankind. Animals in formaldehyde as art by Damien Hirst. Sends a chill up my spine. I love art, I've tried my hand at art and consider myself more than receptive to modern conceptual art.
I guess what I find disturbing is the notion that Damien Hirst is (amongst the cogniscenti) the most significant artist alive today.
I know there's all kinds of art to suit all tastes from the appalling to the sublime.

So, in the time honored tradition of putting down modern art, here is my list of what I really hate in modern art.

Damien Hirst
I nominate him in the category of (nothing exceeds like success)
I have chosen his work entitled Adam and Eve banished (two corpses lying on autopsy tables).

Jeff Koons
I nominate him in the category of (you must be fucking kidding me!)
Here is Koons porcelain works of Michael Jackson and bubbles and Cicciolina and the Pink Panther.











Rosalie Gascoigne (a major Australian artist)

I nominate her in the category of (when the artisan has gone out of art)








Rob Fischer
This wonderful example makes me wonder if art thieves will be risking their lives to steal this item and sell it on the black market. Or even the scenario of future generations stumbling upon this piece in a remote and disused warehouse and exclaiming with ecstatic delight," Oh my God, we've discovered a lost Rob Fischer work!"

























Patricia Piccini
is an Australian artist famous for her figures of imaginary beings. I think she belongs in Hollywood making aliens for SF movies.










































go...go...go... by Anna Jermolaewa

3 comments:

Jeannie said...

Was Paccini the mother of triplets? Because I often felt like that "litter" art when I was nursing twins...

Lexcen said...

I wish I could answer that one Jeannie.

clockwork_watchmaker said...

piccini is one of my favorites, i reflect your sentiment that she ought to be paid to do sci-fi movie consultation. why hasn't anyone approached her with this idea yet?

Labels