Friday, May 25, 2007

Reflections on News

I love to catch up with the news, I read the daily newspaper and and check the net for current news stories and I watch documentaries on TV. I haven't figured out why I'm obsessed with news because the more news I read, the more depressed I become. You see, all news is bad news. There's not good news that's actually newsworthy. Good news is always full of promises that never eventuate.
Bad News is always good for News headlines. Disaster, death, famine, disease, war. Now that's NEWS.

So to summarize what's been happening in the News, here it is...

1. The world is running out of food. Prices with inevitably increase. The reason is the increased demand from China.
2. The world is running out of oil. Prices of oil and gas and food and just about everything else will increase. The main reason is the increased demand from China.
3. Pollution of the atmosphere is increasing. The reason is the rapidly expanding economy and industry growth in China.
4. For a long time now, Australian manufacturing has been closing down and moving offshore to benefit from cheap labor, usually China.
5. Balance of trade deficit is bad because Australians import just about everything we consume, most of it coming from...you guessed it China.
6. Then there's the illegal trade in human organs in...let me think...yes it's China.
7. We all know about the huge industry in fake goods that include copyright infringements in software, cheap imitation designer goods and clothing...coming from...China.
8. The Dalai Lama is visiting Australia at the moment but our politicians are afraid to meet with him because they might offend........China.

Looking back to my childhood years, I remember the biggest threat to the western world was communism. I remember how the threat of millions of communist Chinese invading our shores led by Mao Tse Tung's Red Army was enough send shivers up my spine.

Well, now I can rest assured that the threat of communist China has evaporated and we can all rejoice in the fact that China is heading toward a capitalist economy. That is the good news. The bad news is the other 8 points I've listed.

9 comments:

Little Lamb said...

Oh dear, that is bad news. Any way we can do away with China? (Don't tell them I said that! Don't want to offend them!)

Kirsten N. Namskau said...

At least SOME events not caused by Islam ...

none said...

Don't forget the poison medicines and adulterated food products that countries are afraid to stop importing because of over-dependence on chinese imports.

Jeannie said...

And things just keep getting better and better. And one of the highlights of the Apocalypse since I know how much you revere the bible is that China sends an army of 1 million to the middle east...not too hard to believe now is it?

Lexcen said...

little lamb, just between you and me...

Kirsten,I'm glad somebody noticed this.

Hammer, I think I've only scratched the surface on this topic.

Jeannie,please don't scare me any more than I am already.

southfield_2001 said...

on the bright side, at least they won't behead you or make you wear a burka...

Kirsten N. Namskau said...

Maybe it's time to learn Chineezzzze. (Tzec raziw orld)

Small Business USA said...

Perhaps we could learn from the Chinese. Take a long-term approach to our society, produce more than we consume, save money, create strategic reserves, and maybe save for retirement when the Chinese take over the world...

Lexcen said...

David, let's also remember that rapid economic growth doesn't require any consideration of human rights. The success of the Industrial Revolution in Europe depended on the manufacturers' ability to exploit the workers. China has certainly taken that lesson to heart. In fact, democracy itself is only a burden that interferes with the process of industrialization.

Labels