Friday, July 27, 2007

Culture, tradition and stupidity

There is a video on MEMRI TV, video number 1501, of the story of a girl that died after having circumcision.
The mother is questioned as to the reason for wanting to circumcise her daughter.
The answer is, it's always been done, the neighbours do it.

It's not a religious obligation. It's just culture. When I rant about how much I hate culture, this is exactly what I'm referring to. Not opera, not ballet, not literature. Culture as mindless tradition, doing something because it's always been done.

2 comments:

Jeannie said...

What truly amazes me is the sheer duplicity of our culture. We rant about female circumcision in other cultures yet what is being promoted in ours? Labial surgery so that we women may appear youthful even down there.

I think we're all on crack.

Lexcen said...

Jeannie, I think it's a measure of desperation when a woman has plastic surgery to reshape her V.

Labels