Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Thought Crime


In George Orwell's futuristic novel, 1984, there is a criminal offense labeled "Thought Crime".

Today I read on Michelle Malkin's blog about the crime of flushing the Qu'ran down the toilet.

Surely such an act would come under the definition of "Thought Crime". It is only a symbolic act, as much as say burning the flag. Nobody ever got arrested for that activity.

I once tried to upload to YouTube a video I found of guys shooting the shit out of Qu'ran. It was rejected on the grounds of "violence". I think I was guilty of thought crime. (See BombIslam.com site)

Of course, planning to blow up people is in itself a thought crime that goes unpunished and as far as I know, there are no laws that cover a scenario. Our laws are designed to protect the individual. Without evidence, it is impossible to prosecute anyone who has evil intentions. This has always been one of the founding principles of the legal system that holds the individual innocent until proven guilty.

So, where does "Thought Crime" fit into all this?

2 comments:

none said...

I wish mohammed's mother had flushed him...oh oh does that make me a hate criminal?

Lexcen said...

hammer, it's only a thought crime if it offends Muslims but it doesn't work the other way around.

Labels