Saturday, January 20, 2007

It's raining.

Big deal you think. Who cares? Well, we are in the middle of a drought, water restrictions are severe, never this strict that I can remember.
Now the latest news is floods.
As I sit here, blogging, it's pouring down rain for the second day in a row. It's still steamy hot, and this isn't typical of Melbourne, because when it usually rains here, its always cold. Now I feel like I'm in the tropics. Having a backyard full of luscious palm trees seems to heighten the effect.

Huge floods hit Flinders Rangers. "The heaviest rain since European settlement." I love superlatives, don't you?

I can't help but recall a book by Australia's only nobel prize winning author, Patrick White. The Tree of Man. Within this epic story of Australian farmers, there is the repetitive cycle of drought followed by bushfires followed by floods. It's so obvious that this is what Australia is all about and yet we are constantly surprised by flood, drought and bushfires, as if they were something out of the ordinary, something we didn't expect or shouldn't expect, when in fact it's as normal as night following day.

7 comments:

Kirsten N. Namskau said...

But this rain will bring everything back to life again and the fire will finnaly be put out.
A new "world" will emerge in front of your eyes.

Jeannie said...

Thought I'd drop this here seeing as I steered you wrong on Phoenix's site... forget Catherine Cookson - it's Patricia Cornwell

Lexcen said...

Kirsten, yes everything comes in cycles.
jeannie, thanks for the correction.

Jeannie said...

I just read your post. People are always surprised here when it snows. And piles up. Like it hasn't happened almost every year. I'm actually waiting for a flood. Lately they've been building huge fancy subdivisions along the flood plain. I can't wait for the big surprise.

Lexcen said...

jeannie, snow in Canada shouldn't be a surprise as much as snow in Melbourne.

Michael said...

Or snow in Israel.
Hey, if you get too much rain, try and send some of it over here to the Galil. We're a little short on water, too...

Nice blog, by the way. I'm enjoying reading it.

Lexcen said...

michael, I appreciate the compliment.

Labels