Saturday, October 06, 2007

Australia 1955

Australia was the land of hope. Well, that's what my dad thought and that's how all these people (the extended family) ended up in Australia. Notice the typical Australian bush in the background.

Mum says that what drew dad to Australia, was the strength of the union movement. His craving for rights in the workplace made Australia an ideal destination. The extended family that followed just tagged along.

I'm the one trying to keep his face out of the picture by looking down.

My parents were born in Egypt, dad isn't in the photo so he must be the one taking it. Greeks born in Egypt to parents of economic refugees from the ravages of war torn Greece and the poverty of farming life. They were never "Egyptian" because their language, culture, heritage and religion remained Greek although they could speak at least three languages or more. The important thing to remember is that they weren't Muslim.

Egypt, under British occupation was a destination for many Europeans ended up being a haven for Europeans in the early part of the twentieth century. A haven that is until nationalism reared its head and the Egyptians felt the need to remove the monarchy and establish democracy. For the historical background google King Farouk and Gamal Abdel Nasser.

It was an uncomfortable time in Egypt with lootings, arson and hostility towards the Europeans, that is how my grandmother narrated it to me and that is how I'm telling it now. The outflux was on and few chose to remain in Egypt whilst most of European background decided to return to their home country or go to America or Australia. There was an offer too good to refuse with cheap fares to Australia by a country that desperately needed workers for its growing manufacturing industry. Australia the land of hope and opportunity.
Posted by Picasa
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

5 comments:

The Phosgene Kid said...

Interesting insight into your family. I enjoy reading things like that. Might be the makings of a good book!

Lexcen said...

I think everybody has the makings of a good book in their life story.

Theo said...

Hey Lex, sorry about the rugby, mate! Maybe your boys can share a plane back with the Kiwis?

Jeannie said...

I LOVE your work - did I miss it before somehow? Or maybe I did't realize it was yours... in any case you have admirable talent and now I will go cut off my ear because I will never come close.

Lexcen said...

Jeannie, thanks for the encouragement. Please don't cut off your ear, I'm not worth it.

Labels