Saturday, October 14, 2006

Truth on the Net

I was seriously savaged recently when I posted a comment on Mechanical Crowds blog. I was just putting forward an opinion on Islam and violence. Apparently, where I was wrong was in generalizing about the whole Islamic community when only the small group of Muslims is violent.
I was also lambasted for using the net as a reference point for information because you can't believe everything that's on the net.

Then I read an article in the newspaper that lamented the lack of information on Wikipedia about Australian authors. Questions were raised about the veracity of Wikipedia because anybody can post articles on this encyclopaedia.

This put my mind into a train of thought regarding the nature of Truth, Peace Loving Muslims, what we judge to be the truth, and how we formulate our opinions.

I don't usually engage in arguments online as I can't see any point in trying to convince somebody that my opinion is correct and theirs is wrong. It's even worse when an argument turns to name calling and personal attacks. That just goes to show that people who resort to this can't really put a cohesive argument together, are too emotional, and aren't worth bothering about.

Nevertheless, my thought processes have been stimulated and that's what really matters.

The first issue I want to raise is the constant mantra that not all Muslims are violent.
True.
Statistics isn't something you can argue with.
But on the other hand, as rational human beings, as observers of human behaviour, we can make assertions about certain behavioural patterns that emerge as apparent but do not necessarily get reflected in the statistics.
Here's one story that I feel proves my point, but yet can be argued against using statistics.
The point I want to make is this, maybe not all Muslims are violent = true. But Muslims have a predisposition to violence that is intrinsic to their beliefs and their peaceful nature is only disturbed when their religious beliefs surface to dictate their passions and their actions. This contrasts to all other religions.

The second issue, is about how we absorb and filter information as intelligent beings.
I don't adhere to the concept that if something is on the net, then it is questionable as having any underlying truth. It seems that people who hold this view are biased toward the printed word.
OK, so if it's in a book then it must be more plausible? I think not. I've read enough bullshit in books to know that any source of information whether printed or online must be analysed and evaluated by the mind. I can give examples of books by Velikovsky (pseudo science) and the most famous book of misinformation Hitler's Mein Kampf as examples of this. L.Ron Hubbard (pseudo religion), Creationist textbooks denying evolution etc etc.

5 comments:

none said...

You hit the nail on the head once again Lexcen.


As for arguing on the internet it's like participating in the special olympics..even if someone wins win they are still retarded.

Lexcen said...

Thanks hammer.

Kirsten N. Namskau said...

You know Lexcen, not everything suits everybody. That's why the biggest mistake done is the misionary work. People tend to build a religious belief suited the place on earth where they live, according to temperature, water-providance, agriculture, temperament, culture, weather etc. etc.
Muhammed said: "Unfortunately, men of my culture doesn't know how to behave....."
That's why it doesn't suit with democracy (in western manners) in this part of the world. That's why He adviced the women to veil.(It's not a must, it's not an order.)
You can take the Jewish religion...They HAVE to eat fish on Fridays. (For religious reasons)
If you tell this to the bedouins...They will be terrified, because they have not ever even SEEN a fish.(Many of them don't even know what a fish is.)
Inside all religious...it's something good, something bad, some good people, some bad people.
It's all about to find the religion YOU feel you suit in.

Lexcen said...

Kirsten, you obviously have respect for all of the worlds religions. Unfortunately I don't. I've never seen any good come out of any religion. If you want to talk about morality and ethics, then these can and do exist outside of religion. Of course, some people do need religion to cope with their problems so in that regard, religion has a purpose.
I do respect other peoples beliefs and really don't want to offend or confront their beliefs. Unfortunately, my observations do affect my opinions. And if anyone is wondering, yes I do have friends who are Muslims.

Travel Italy said...

Generally, I have to say I am with LEXCEN.

I would add, If a people or religion does not take on the fanatic factions of their group, country or religion then they are enablers, thus supporting the extremes and making them fair game to be grouped with the extremists.

The US Muslim community falls into this definition. While I do not care what they believe, or do not believe, I do think they are responsible for the actions of their "brothers" if by nothing else just for not condemning their actions with a LOUD voice.

Labels