Saturday, July 21, 2007

Big is Beautiful

Never have I liked the stick insects that are favored by the fashion industry.
I like women with flesh, lots of it.
It gladdens my heart to read the latest article that highlights the new trend of big women as fashion models.

It's been too long since Rembrandt reveled in the delights of rolls of flesh on naked women.

Artists have always had a preference for the well endowed woman as a model.

The fashion industry has persecuted us with it's images of skeleton thin waifs for too long now. I would point the finger of blame on the fashion industry for the plague of anorexia that sees young, healthy girls ruin their lives because their role models (those impossibly thin catwalk stick insects) give every woman a negative body image.
Ever met a woman who wasn't on a diet, planning a diet or afraid to eat something delicious because it would instantly put fat on her body?

Nothing gets the juices flowing for Lex faster than a nice big derriere.

Lets all stand up and shout, big is beautiful.

9 comments:

Jeannie said...

Well thank heavens - if you'd just add old and wrinkly to that, I'd be very grateful.

I've always supposed the skinny waif preference was because of the prevalence of gay men in the fashion industry who prefer the physique of young boys to that of women with lush femininity.

Lexcen said...

Jeannie, I suspected that as well.

Jim Belshaw said...

Lexcen, for an Australian example, look at the paintings of Norman Lindsay.Here I quote from one commentary:

"Many of his more controversial works featured sumptuous, provocative nudes. During a 1939 exhibition tour of the United States the train in which the paintings were travelling caught fire. When the smouldering train pulled in to the next station, the remaining paintings were burned by a mob of wowsers incensed by the licentious images."

Lexcen said...

Jim, I do admire Norman Lindsay and I read his biography many years ago. He seems more bohemian than typical Australian. I've always loved his nudes.

Jim Belshaw said...

He was certainly more bohemian. I was luck. The Hinton collection then housed on the walls of the Armidale Teacher's College had a number of Lindsay paintings. I very much enjoyed his books from the Magic Pudding on, although I susepct that I would not have liked him personally.

southfield_2001 said...

jeannie has it exactly right.
Real women have curves.

none said...

I agree 100%

Michael said...

Yup, real women are curvy.

Anonymous said...

mmmm hmmmm....

Labels