Sunday, September 23, 2007

A Public Interest Announcement on Greenhouse gases


It is a growing trend to become concerned with the fate of the planet, specifically the human contribution to greenhouse gases.
I was surprised to learn that cows have a much greater effect in contributing to greenhouse gases than do automobile emissions.

For example, everyday, every one of the nearly 28 million beef and dairy cows in Australia emeits more than a 44 gallon drum's worth of methane...the big problem with methane is that it has 22 times the warming capability of carbon dioxide, the major greenhouse gas...adding to the problem is Australia's 100 million sheep, each of which emits 25 litres of methane a day. Worldwide, you have about 1.5 billion cattle plus 1.7 billion sheep - and a lot of methane.

Am I shocked? Indeed I am. No longer will I feel guilty about driving my V8.

Whats more, I don't eat beef or lamb, I eat pork. That's just my personal way of saying sweet FA to all you Muslims. As well as reducing my carbon footprint.


(Painting by John Kelly - Australian Artist)

4 comments:

The Phosgene Kid said...

Think very large corks...

Jeannie said...

I can't help but think they should find a way to collect these gases and we can run cars on them.

Lexcen said...

jeannie, scientists are working on this very concept as we speak. I'm sure there will be a breakthrough very soon.

The Phosgene Kid said...

I can see someone following a cow around with a large bottle. Good luck with that!

Labels