Tuesday, April 21, 2009

UN Forum on Racism

President of Iran @ Columbia University.Image via Wikipedia

I bit my tongue when I read the Mahmood Ahmadinejad was to speak at the UN Forum on Racism.
I bit my tongue when I read that Australia including others had boycotted the Forum.
But now I just can't stop laughing at the naivety or is it plain stupidity of those who organized the forum to let mad Ahmad speak. His views are well known to anybody who keeps up to date with world news. Why the shock horror now?


Ahmadinejad, who has previously called for the Jewish state to be wiped off the map, criticised the creation of a "totally racist government in occupied Palestine" in 1948, calling it "the most cruel and racist regime".

Now nobody needs to tell me that no one takes the UN seriously so why bother with this latest charade? I don't know.

There's always a danger that those who imagine racism to exist will actually believe mad Ahmad and take his beliefs as facts.
Racism doesn't exist because all humans are one species and the idea of "race" is outdated and unscientific.
The more correct phrase is Xenophobia. When we see the term "racism" applied to issues such as Islamophobia then we know that it's time to abandon the much maligned and misused expression.

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments:

Labels