Thursday, December 30, 2010

Scientific Research



I love my daily dose of scientific research. It never fails to amuse me when I read that scientists have scientifically discovered the bleeding obvious. Don't get me wrong, I have much respect for science and truly believe that rational thought coupled with science is the only path to true knowledge.
Nevertheless, when it comes to scientific research, I often wonder how these guys in white coats ever manage to coax funds to conduct their research.
For example, the latest research to emerge is that left wing brains are different from right wing brains.
The fact that is never discussed is that correlation statistics (Statistics 101) will tell you that just because there is a correlation between two sets of data, doesn't prove anything. For further information see this link http://www.physics.smu.edu/pseudo/LieStat/

On further examination of this subject, I found that there is Journal of Spurious Correlations, targeting social sciences, I wonder if there is also the equivalent to this for hard science?

Finally consider this list of ridiculous scientific research

  • If you yelled for 8 years, 7 months and 6 days you would have produced enough sound energy to heat one cup of coffee. (Definitely not worth it.)
  • If you farted consistently for 6 years and 9 months, enough gas is produced to create the energy of an atomic bomb. (Now that’s more like it ! isn’t it Ahmadinajad ? )
  • The human heart creates enough pressure when it pumps out to the body to squirt blood 30 feet. (O.M.G.!)
  • A pig’s orgasm lasts 30 minutes. (In my next life, I definitely want to be a pig! 30 whole minutes? wow!)
  • A cockroach will live nine days without its head before it starves to death. (Creepy!!! I’m still not over the pig.)
  • Banging your head against a wall uses 150 calories an hour… (Don’t try this at home…. maybe at work !)
  • The male praying mantis cannot copulate while its head is attached to its body. The female initiates sex by ripping the male’s head off. (Honey, I’m home. What the…?!)  ouch!!! assuming it was the same way for humans, I bet all men will die as virgins.
  • The flea can jump 350 times its body length. It’s like a human jumping the length of a football field. (30 whole minutes!..lucky pig! Can you imagine?…)
  • The catfish has over 27,000 taste buds. (What could be so tasty at the bottom of a pond?)
  • Some lions mate over 50 times a day. (I still want to be a pig in my next life…quality over quantity !) but imagine what u can do with the combined abilities of a pig and lion!! hmmmm…
  • Butterflies taste with their feet. (…something I always wanted to know ?)
  • The strongest muscle in the body is the tongue. (Hmmmmmm…. thought it was something else…)
  • Right-handed people live, on average, nine years longer than left-handed people. (If you’re ambidextrous, do you split the difference?)
  • Elephants are the only animals that cannot jump. (Okay….so that would be a good thing ryt?)
  • A cat’s urine glows under a black light. (I wonder who was paid to figure that out?)
  • An ostrich’s eye is bigger than its brain. ( I know some people like that! yup)
  • Starfish have no brains (I know some people like that too.) oh yes!!!, i know lots of them
  • Polar bears are left-handed (If they switch, they’ll live a lot longer. i think?)
  • Humans and dolphins are the only species that have sex for pleasure. (What about that pig??????)
Article Source: http://planetprose.com/2010/12/06/art-ent/18-most-ridiculous-verified-scientific-research-findings/

1 comment:

Jeannie said...

Pretty fascinating stuff. I think. What I want to know is - how do we get grants to do research like this?

Labels